Thursday, March 31, 2022

  Tribute - Judy Fouquette Skapik



Hi Class of ’59.


I arrived at Pomona Catholic as a recent St. Joseph Grammar School graduate. 

There (St. Joseph) I was one of the “lively” ones. In high school things were much different. There were 4 grades and freshmen were the lowliest of them all. Yet, I loved attending each class in a new classroom and seeing all the other students as I trooped up and down the stairs getting there. Two of my grammar school teachers were teaching me again…Sr. Doloria (Typing & Clerical Practice) and Sr. Anilla (Civics). I made new friends from other towns and settled in enjoying this new world. One of my favorite activities in high school was the retreats. We had fantastic retreat leaders who sparked our minds and revealed new ways for us to love and serve our God. They also assured us that we were deeply loved by our creator.I always emerged energized and fully charged to be good and do good.


Friday night football games were gobs of fun even though I never really knew much about the game. As a cheerleader my Sophomore year I had to ask another student which cheer to lead as I knew nothing about the technicalities of the game. But how we yelled our heads off and supported our players!  I remember the first time we traveled by bus to a football game in Barstow. It was a rough town and the kids threw rocks at us while we cheered on our team. Needless to say, we left quickly after the games which we always won. Hm-m, no wonder the rocks. 


The school dances were fun although I was so shy I practically hid myself at them. 

Over the years we had many promotions to help make money for our school. I clearly remember with amusement how I bought the entire box of chocolate bars ( I has a job at Hi Burgers across the street from PC) we were assigned to sell for the school. I could not ask a perfect stranger to buy something from me. That was an absolutely terrifying thought. Therefore, my friend Marilyn Diaz and I enjoyed many bars of chocolate underneath the stairwell during our off times. By the way, Marilyn also worked at Hi Burgers with me. 


Pomona Catholic helped me understand more deeply that our actions can affect others in many ways. I learned I must strive to share my core beliefs with those who ask or show an interest. One needed to be a good example for others to follow.


I married my husband Mike at 19. I had always dreamed of having a large family as I adored my mother and thought the world of her.  We had 5 children, 3 boys and 2 girls. I totally immersed myself in family life. When my children attended Catholic school I became very busy doing all the things parents must do when their children attend Catholic school. As they got older I started writing for the church newsletter. I had always enjoyed writing and this was a wonderful outlet. All of my children were involved in sports so I attended many, many baseball games. Cheering the kids on was a delightful way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Sadly to say, we lost 2 of our children over the years. Our daughter Sherry (14) in an accident and our son Robert (22) to cancer. That is a grief I will never heal from and always carry with me. In later years I became a grief counselor and wrote articles regarding the loss of a child. I know that I helped others in their sorrow and am appreciative for that opportunity. God knew what to do with me at that time. 


The thing I regret most was not attending college. I could have but wanted to be out in the world working and being able to pay my way. College would have taught me many things but I believe the most important would have been to become an independent thinker. But then, if I had done that then I wouldn’t have met my husband and started my family which I truly believe was my destiny.


Over the years many good times were had with our children, grandchildren (3) and now a great-granddaughter. Four generations were started because of me. I feel proud of that accomplishment.  I taught CCD classes and subbed at OLA. In later years I lead a senior exercise class that was hard. We used weights, did many yoga poses and stretched well. I met many lovely people in those classes.  I was able to visit my birth parents’ countries. I adored Ireland and also enjoyed England and France. 


I would tell my 18 yr. old self to be true to my beliefs and stand tall in them. I had a good education in what was really important in life. That took me far. My advice is to believe in yourself and always love and give to others. Treat them as you would want to be treated. Everyone is carrying a cross. Be kind.


I now have COPD and need oxygen to walk or do anything active. I try hard every day and still manage to keep a little garden going. I also enjoy my little dog Rosie and still have my dear husband Mike at my side. I would say my life has been a success.


I will not be at the reunion but wish all of you a joyful time and send my best wishes.


Judy Fouquette Skapik